Friday, June 10, 2011

Cinnamon and Claire Vs. The Hornets!


Cinnamon and Claire


Vs. The Hornets





Yesterday Cinnamon and I went out for a ride in the afternoon on a small trail near the ranch that we've ridden several times before. We were walking over a hill enjoying the flowers and sunshine when all of a sudden - hornet attack!!

The stings felt like shocks of electricity, so painful I jumped off of Cinnamon in a state of panic. She was being attacked more than I, with hornets on her face, neck, legs and back. At one point I let go of her because I needed two hands to swat hornets off my arms! Lesser horses would have run home, leaving me to be eaten alive, but Cinnamon stayed close, biting and kicking at the little devils.

I quickly realized I needed to get back on her so we could get out of there. Cinnamon stopped bucking and stood still so I could get back on, then carried us to safety, despite hornets hanging on and still stinging her face, neck and back.

When we got back to the ranch she started having an allergic reaction and seemed like she was having trouble breathing. Her stings swelled up and she began stretching her neck and yawning over and over. The vet came out and gave her an emergency intravenous steroid and checked her heart, lungs and digestive system to make sure she was okay.



Distressed look in eyes and unnatural flared nostrils. Very scary.

With emergency vet treatment, some treats and sympathy, she calmed down and she's doing fine today.





Studly, Cinnamon's best friend and next door neighbor, was unmoved by the day's events.


Claire required a glass of Cabernet and a bar of dark chocolate to fully recover.



We're going to apply bug spray before going for rides and avoid that trail for a while!

Hornets: 1, Claire and Cinnamon: 0.

This story is a great example of what a wonderful horse Cinnamon is: dependable, trusting, and intelligent. She is still available for adoption. If you know of a good home for Cinnamon, please email me at cdobransky@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment